Saturday, July 04, 2009

Ek doha har roj

I have this mission for the next few days that I will try and memorize one doha per day. I read one today which I liked a lot and it applied too aptly on me. The doha was:

Deh dhare ka dand hai, sab kaho ko hoye
Gyani bhugte gyan se, murakh bhugate roy

Now I don't know the real meaning of this is but from what I can gather and translate there are multiple meanings to this and I will try to give my understanding of this which might not be correct.

(This is part of a bigger poem and I could find out complete poem and post it but I did not. I read the complete poem and its also good so those who want to can do a google and you will find it.)

So here it goes: To me this firstly describes that no matter who you are whether you are very wise or as dumb as a dodo you will have to suffer in the world in one way or form. (Another apt poem to look up here is "Ek EK baar sabhi sang biti" I did not find the complete poem but if some one does please post). The wise suffer as they try to see meaning in all the actions around, they try to dissect every thing no matter how small and hence are always anxious and the fools always cry about what happens to them. So no matter what you will always suffer in the world. Another way to look at it is that no matter what even if you are extremely intelligent or dumb you will ultimately be treated equal when death comes to you. Its like saying in the long run every one is dead so why be materialistic. Lead a simple life. This meaning comes out more clearly from the entire poem in which Kabir says that why I should be afraid of anything because death, old age and peril comes to all and not just me. Also too me its like a warning for people like me not to think too much about anything as over analysis leads to anxiety.

Now as to why this was apt was because I went to Manhattan today and generally around saw a lot of Indians but just didn't like how they were behaving and what they were wearing. Without going into too much details let me say that what I felt was they were trying to mingle too much with the people in NY. Its nothing new for me as I have seen this time and time again and this is not necessarily wrong but what I felt was that we as a nation and a group of people are loosing touch with our traditions, our clothing, our culture of being humble and respectful of elders and this lead to a sort of chain reaction of thoughts. I sort of started thinking that am I right in questioning these people correctly because to a large extent I also behave in a very similar way. i wear a shirt and a trouser, speak english, eat all kinds of food so am I not guilty of the same thing. Yes I am and this is even more sickening to me. In a bid to gain ground in career I have lost things which are and will always remain very dear to me. I regret this very very much. I dont have an answer to what I can do about this but I will keep the question hanging in my mind. Just in case one day a sudden thought comes to my mind which might be able to solve this question. But one thing is for sure - whether I will be able to get an answer or not this question has definitely ruined my evening. That is why one should not think too much :(

No comments: