Monday, March 20, 2006

Are we getting rude?

I was reading through a newspaper supplement (Hindu's metro) where there was an article on are we as a nation getting rude day by day. I had never realized it before but it seems to be true. The f-word and the finger gesture that we use so often is clearly a sign of what is happening. Well people who know me would like to point out that probably I have no right when it comes to writing about rudeness. I can be very rude some times and I do admit it. At the same time my rudeness just shows that its not just the uneducated but even the educated that are suffering from this syndrome. I would go further to say that although education is meant to teach us humility its that educated one that are more rude than the uneducated one. Probably because they are under more pressure or probably because they drive a bigger car which can be blocked easily. Either way these are no the excuses that can be given to cover over rudeness. What has happened to us? We as Indian were considered the most tolerant of nation. Look how we have engulfed different religions and taken the best out of them.

Am I being too judemental here. Has the definition of rudeness changed over the years. As the article pointed out that the fastest way to get your work done in today's word is being rude. You shout at some one and you would be listened and obeyed. But when you point this out to some body not even a single one admits the same. Argument being hey thats the way it is. I would also like to blame the media here. They stress so much about being aggression without actually defining it. Its very easy to mix both of them up. Parents not having time for children (how can this be but it is true) as both are working parents, long working hours and high ambition can be other reasons for us being on the edge all the time. well what ever the reason might be we need to turn the tide and start being sober again!!

No comments: