Wednesday, March 08, 2006

My Interview Experience

I am about to share with you guys my IIM A interview experience. As I had got a PPO from Intel and hence had never given an interview before this. So I was pretty nervous when I entered the room for interview. Luckily the Case Study went well and that settled the nerves a little bit. But when I entered the room I was pretty tensed. The panel had 3 persons; all male. Lets call then Left(L), Centre(C) and Right(R). I would represent my self as I.

Venue: IIM bangalore
Date: 27th Feb 2006
Time: 9.00 AM.

I: Good morning Sir(s);
C: Good morning. Sit down
I: Thank you sir.
C: Is the first person we interview out side??
I: (Not expecting this!!!) Yes sir.
C: Why is he not going home. Why is he wasting his time?
I: I don't think that he is wasting his time sir, I think he is talking to people and getting to know about them.
C: Did you talk to him about the interview.
I: I talked to him but not about the interview.
C: So you don't take this interview seriously.....
I: (What the hell is going on!!!!) Sir, I take this interview seriously but I don't think that last minute preparations are going to help me
C: So what did you talk to him about?
I: Generally, where is he from what is he doing now and background.
C: So what do you know about him. Well tell us about a few people out there.
I: I told them about a couple.
L: Thats it ..thats what you have been talking about for the last 45 minutes....(all of them started laughing)
I: smiled at the panel
C: OK so tell me what is the difference between ISB and IIM
I: Normal stuff about people having more work ex. as well as one year. hands on experience for people at ISB and stuff like that.
C: OK so tell me the current situation about Karnataka politics
I: well the government has changed.
C: no..no lets go in details... what happened on the first day.. what is the current position and stuff like that...he also questioned about which party does new CM belong to .... what is the anti deflection law says...
I: I was able to answer most of the questions.
L: which are the states going into election now.
I: I said kerala and TN.. (there were 5 but could remember on 2)
L: is politics your field of interest?
I: no sir.. not much
L: why do you know so much about politics
I: general news paper..
C: which news paper?
I: Hindu...
C: tell me the main points of the railway budget.
I: I said 4-5 points.
C: was it a deficit budget?
I: yes sir
C: are you sure?
I: yes sir ( I am still not sure)
R: so you don't take criticism well!!!
I: yes sir.
R: what do you mean by this?
I: some think about making excuses..Etc.
R: So u like being praised?
I: (bewildered!!!) yes sir. I think that every body would be.
All of them together: you are so nice.. U are great (started laughing at this point)
I: smiled back!! (what else was I supposed to do???)
R: go on
I: talked a little bit about how it has hurt me and what I am doing
L: so what are complex numbers
I: (why the hell is he asking me about complex numbers!!) I told him that under root of negative numbers and all..
L: where are they used!!!
I: solving rlc circuits..
R: where did they come into picture from..
I:( I forgot that ...) I don't know sir
C: what is bubble sort
I: told him
L: what is is complexity?
I: o(n^2)
L: what is quick sort?
I: told him
L: why is the complexity n*log(n)
I: explained that we had to break the array and stuff like that
L: what is the base of that log???
I: told to him that base would be depend on the kind of break up you get...
L: seemed pleased .... looked at the others in panel.
C: you may take your toffee and leave now..
I: (thats it!!!!) ... I took one toffee and was about to leave when.. (I am standing)
C: what would you change in Rajasthan?
I: I said education and infrastructure.
L: are you from the factory?
I: I am sorry sir.. I don't understand..
L: are you from Kota?
I: yes sir
C: Thanks Mr. Daga
I: Thanks a lot sir!!!


Well thats about it.... will add any thing if I remember more. It went ok ok I guess ... I answered a couple of questions incorrectly but I guess over all it went ok.
It lasted about 20 minutes..

well got to run .. need to prepare for C (on 16th March). keep checking this spot for more details about C.

2 comments:

kaa said...

badhiya bola re...
:)..mein aa raha hoon bangalore treat lene

hogwarts said...

abhi wait karo... result aane do main mumbai aa kar treat de doonga :). wasie koi plan hai ka bangalore aane ka?